Welcome

Why in the world do photographers charge so much?????

OK - So I just had to do this post, why do photographers charge so much and why such variables in prices?????
Just like vehicles that have parts go bad, cameras, lenses and computers do too. Shocker I know. LOL.
In 2011 I had my 24-70 L series focus component go out, my IMAC 24 sensor and hard drive failed (after only 1 year!!), my 580 flash broke and
last but not least one of my 5D's shutters went bad. This of course does not include new camera batteries that stay fresh only 1 year
or regular maintenance issues. In 2011 I spent nearly $3000 buckeroos to stay up on my gear not including new gear, props,photography classes, and updated editing programs.

In this digital age where everyone has digital cameras and upload their photos to a local one hour store, we hear this all the time – How in the world do Professional Photographers charge so much for an 8×10 when they cost just $1.50 at costco?
Dont get me wrong - I love costco for my personal 4x6 archived albums of silly little things, but my wall prints are special and you know they are printed in metallic papers or canvas.

Here’s why.

Simply put, you’re not just paying for the actual image from a professionaly lab in amazing papers, you’re paying for time, talent and expertise in creating the image itself.

A $300 session that lasts 1 hour is just the start for me. I drive home, upload the images, back them up, sort them, edit final images, laser disc, burn disc 2 copies for archiving, e-mail client, mail disc, and finally order professional prints. This can take up to 20 hours.
For a 6-8 hour wedding:
- I won’t bore you with the details, but a 6-8 hour wedding typically amounts to at least 40 hours of time in post processing and editing time, upload time, back up time, album design time, revision on the album design time, etc., etc.

I realize you dont have to have all the nicest gear to take and make a great picture. There are some things I personally just wont ever want to be without. For example back up cameras. : - ) I own 4 SLR's because I like to be prepared for anything especially when I shoot weddings. I know not everyone wants to have 4 cameras but it works for me even though it took 2 years of hard work to make any kind of profit. Photographers prices range so vastly for many many reasons. How long they have had their business, editing time, websites, purchasing equipment that can easily cost up to $10,000 simply to start; for some photographers it’s as much as $30,000, continue to invest in gear if any, their experience, schooling/continued education, talent, and of course many other personal reasons.

I love what I do and I do what I love! If I did not love this I would have given up years ago. : - )

My 2011 broken bummers pictured here : - ( All have since been replaced or repaired. : - )

No comments: